Fallston is now ready for her debut next weekend in Wisconsin at the Knit-In.
We have had mostly mild weather in Nashville this winter. I have been enjoying my new windows because we have been able to open them so much and enjoy airing out the house. I have had the open open quite a lot actually. They are open today since it’s about 70 degrees and clear skies. I am prepared for the fact I am heading into “winter” next week but hoping it won’t be too bad.
Besides Wisconsin, I am headed to Pittsburgh for the Knit and Crochet Festival, and then on to Chicago for Yarn Con. I have been watching the weather conditions on an app on my phone for these locations so I know how to pack for the weather.
It’s getting pretty green here in Nashville. Our peach trees are blooming, well one of them is. The trees are starting to form leaf buds and the Bradford Pears and Crabapple are flowering.
I thought you might like to see a blocking shot. Below is the piles of freshly washed and blocked booth samples. I got the tags replaced and re-boxed them to put back in the trailer yesterday.
I haven’t had a chance to block it yet, but Fallston is done! I have been washing and re-blocking all my shop samples and boy do I have a lot of them. Today I got the last of them blocking so the plan is to block Fallston tomorrow.
This is what it looks like right now. It looks like a gigantic short sleeve doesn’t it? LOL! I do like seeing the transformation when lace is blocked out the first time even if I do dislike the process itself.
This is my next project which you will be seeing for awhile. I have been planning to make a second Sprossling (that link takes you to my first one on Ravelry). I have wanted to try it in a fingering weight, which is what it is written for, and now is the time. Remember when I showed you those four skeins of Classic Merino Superwash Sock yarn in Robin Egg?
I actually did a couple swatches on Sunday to see which needles to use and settled on the US 4’s. The fabric is open and lacey but still has some spring. The US 5’s were close to the same for stitch gauge but the row gauge was a bit large and also I felt like the fabric was a bit too loose. What you see here is not the swatches however, I dutifully washed, and measured them and then cast on for a sleeve. I prefer to start with a sleeve and make sure I am happy with the gauge before making the larger pieces.
Blocked Fallston pictures will be coming up in a couple days!
I have moved on to the fun part, which is the border, of my current knitting project, Fallston.
As you can see I have completed half of the edging and it is looking quite nice to me. I am pleased that it should be ready in time for my first round of festivals that are soon approaching.
I will have three shows in as many weeks beginning with the Madison Knit In March 17-19. From there I am off to Pittsburgh for the Knit and Crochet Festival. Next, I am excited to be attending Yarn Con for the first time. It will be a busy few weeks!
I have a small window of time to write a quick update for you while I am waiting for my dyepots to cook some alpaca fiber today. It is an order for New Era Fiber. Here’s a fun detail about this order; see the blue pot there on your left?
You will never guess who owns that fleece. Go on try. Ok do you give up? John Carter Cash. Yes, Johnny Cash’s son! How cool is it to live in Nashville? ;-)
Since I still have 20 more minutes before I have to get the stuff out of the pot I will share a knitting update too. Here’s a picture of the Fallston shawl progress. It will get more exciting when I start the border but I do love theses colors together.
Okay I need to get back to work. See you soon.
I can’t remember if I showed you my finished gloves so here they are just in case.
I did some dyeing this past week to do a little restocking of my inventory and while I was at it I dyed up a 30 skein lot of Classic Merino Superwash Sock yarn in a new color I call Robin Egg. I may be adding this color to all my bases later this year if it does well but for now I have it only in the Sock.
I have also cast on for a new shawl design by the lovely Dee O’Keefe called Fallston. Dee designed this beauty in my Superwash Sock yarn (linked above) this past fall and I was trying to decide what colors I wanted to use for mine. When I dyed the Robin Egg I finally knew. This.
This is my Garnet paired with the Robin Egg. I love it! So here is the start of the shawl which has grown some since I took this picture yesterday but it will do for now.
More to come soon!
The gloves are coming along as you can see.
I originally planned to leave the index finger open at the end on only one glove and stop at the last knuckle. When I got to that point on this first glove I changed my plan to knit the full length of the finger adding about a half an inch of ribbing to it. I am going to knit the second one to match, that way I can not only use both index fingers but they are interchangeable for either hand.
The main reason I usually knit finger less gloves and mitts is because it’s a pain to have to remove regular gloves to use my phone. This is my attempt at a compromise for those times when full gloves are called for by the weather. Here in Tennessee we have mild winters much of the time but do have days when it gets well below freezing and finger less gloves can be inadequate protection when you have to be out for long periods. Also I do several early spring shows up north and hope these will come in handy.