Next Up

First up is the Confection Shawl in its ready to wear condition. I will enjoy wearing this in the booth this month I think. 😊

As I may have mentioned last time, I used a total of 913 yards of my Classic Merino Superwash Sock yarn for this. It’s a pretty generous sized crescent shaped shawl. If I wanted to used only two skeins in two colors I would use the Classic Merino Bamboo since those have 490yds./100g.

I believe this was probably the quickest shawl knitting I have ever done. I completed it in about two weeks, which is crazy for the size of it. Gotta love that!

Which brings me to my next project on the needles, my small Vintage Diamonds Cardigan. I started it on Sunday night in the Classic Merino Bamboo in Crimson. I think this will be a nice alternative yarn to the Superwash Sock I used on the original. It’s light fabric is even more flexible for warmer climates and layering.

This color is challenging to photograph because it tends to look less saturated and warmer than it is in person. I think it will pair well in the booth with the medium grey of the Graphite sample.

I hope to have the back and at least one sleeve done in a few days. I should be able to estimate the yardage for the whole sweater by that. Since Kristi is kindly test knitting the largest size, I may be able to publish the pattern soon. 😀

More Test Knitting

I’m knitting as fast as I can to finish the test knit I started right before my last post. It is going very quick which is good because I am itching to start my small size test knit of my Vintage Diamonds Cardigan. More on that next time I hope.

I am on the last section which is all lace. It is a wider band than the first three. I may have to improvise on the last 4-6 rows if my calculations are correct on yardage. I thought I had enough but we’ll see. I can always dye a bit more but I may just use a left over of the lighter gray instead.

In other news, we have a new batch of Nostepinnes and Darning Eggs up on the website this week. We had some Spalted Maple from a tree we cut down in our yard last year that was finally ready to turn. These are limited quantities, so if you want a really special and unique gift or treat for yourself, don’t miss out. 😉 Carpe diem.

Ode to the Butterfly

I completed Ode to the Buttefly on New Years Day but it took awhile to get it blocked and then to have a good enough day weather-wise for photography.

Here is a bad lighting shot that at least shows the difference in before and after blocking.

I had a bit of struggle figuring out the best shape to block it. I started as I usually do by pinning the top edge straight across but it became apparent very quickly that was not going to work. The scallops on the edge where the stitch pattern changes weren’t stretching out properly. I figured out that I needed to bow the top edge down on each side some to get it to smooth out.

I also wonder if I had gone with the size 6 or 7 needle size (recommended in the pattern) instead of my go to 5 needles for fingering weight lace work, it might have helped with the blocking without needing to bow the top. I just hesitated to go that big with this yarn.

I have got two things on the needles at the moment but since I didn’t get a picture of either yet before it got dark today, I will save that for my next post.